Thursday, May 7, 2009

Singara Puramu

I just realised I was on my summer vacation from blogging. I have not posted a single post, the whole of last month. Oh, yes, I have been vacationing, exploring the islands around.

The explorations have revealed further....I feel I am in a magically beautiful tiny country.

When I arrived here, on December 15, I was scared, not because it was scary, but it was too organised. I thought I would not be able to find my way and would be lost in this city. But my living here for more than 4 months has altered this belief. 

Harish and I explored a not much visited, tiny islands, 15-30 minutes ferry drive off Singapore, The St.John's and Kusu Islands. On the way we also got to see the Sister Islands...as they are called, they could rather have been called as the twin islands, as they look very similar. They islands do not have many visitors. On the day we had been there, there were close to some 20 people.

There are is no food and water availability at the island, so we had pack it from home. A good place for family outings. 

When a relative of mine asked me..."You went by a ferry!!!?" This is how I explained.  Imagine Secunderabad being Singapore and Gachebowli an island closeby, then how do you commute.(Some funny conversations this) 

I am all the more happy for having been to this place, where many of our freinds residing in Singapore for the past 4 years, were all exited by our visit(they had not been there yet!!!) and kept asking me questions about the islands, and I was beaming with pride while explaining.

On the way back we also visited the Marina Barrage, another engineering marvel and architectural masterpiece. Above all a model of the barrage is built in the gallery and the show which explains the functioning of the barrage, has been quiet intriguing.

The best of all the whole day programme was the ferry ride. We requested the member of the crew if could sit in the front of the ferry,  Harish and  I  were lucky, sat on either sides in the front. The sun had been kind on us to save us from the heat. An awesome ride on the sea.


Finally the reason for the name: Singaram inTelugu to the best of my knowledge is Enchanting or Enticing or Fascinating or Glamorous or Lovely, and Puram is city. So named Singapore as Singara Puramu!!! :)

Hope it was  good read. I feel the read should be made more interesting, for my visit much more interesting than what I have described. I will explain in detail on my next visit and make points on immediately after travel, so all the essence is captured and presented right away!

1 comment:

  1. Wow... Post some pics of the trip..
    I would love to the snaps of the islands...! :)

    ReplyDelete